We combat climate change by reducing emissions from our operations and including our partners in this work. We also provide solutions and help for reducing our co-op members’ own emissions.
Our climate work
Our goal is to achieve carbon negativity by the end of 2025 and a 90% reduction in emissions by the end of 2030. These goals apply to our own operations (Scopes 1 and 2).
Key factors in reducing emissions from our own operations include improving the efficiency of energy use, increasing the share of renewable energy, minimising refrigerant leakages and replacing old refrigeration equipment with equipment that uses carbon dioxide.
- The international Science Based Targets initiative has confirmed our 90% emission reduction target to be science-based, and the target is in line with the 1.5 degree target of the Paris Agreement.
- In 2020, emissions from our own operations decreased by 20% year-on-year. From 2015, the emissions have already decreased by 70 per cent.
- We have almost 100 outlets with zero emissions. In other words, they do not increase the amount of greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere. In addition, Shopping Centre Lohi is our first carbon-negative real estate property.
- The renovations carried out in 300 S-market stores have improved their energy efficiency. In addition to the appropriate doors and LED lights in refrigerated cabinets, more and more stores are heated with the waste heat generated by refrigeration equipment.
- We are Finland’s biggest producer of solar power. At the end of 2021, we will have approximately 100,000 solar panels. The electricity produced on these sites can be used in our own locations. At S Group, guarantees of origin of renewable electricity have been obtained for all electricity consumed within the group. This means that all electricity that we consume is produced with renewable energy.
- At the beginning of 2021, S Group’s biggest wind power investment was initiated in Simo. When completed, it will be among the biggest in Finland and cover approximately 50% of the annual electricity requirements of our group.
- We are compensating for the climate emissions from our employees’ business flights for the third year running.
- We support the Carbon Action project that promotes carbon farming in Finland, as well as the research work that facilitates emission compensations.
- Every year, we participate in the climate assessment of the international CDP initiative. According to the assessment S Group has carried out pioneering climate work, and we were awarded the best rating (A) in 2020.
We also invite our partners to reduce emissions
More than 95 per cent of our emissions are created in our value chain, i.e. for example in the production of our products. This is why it is important that we encourage our partners to measure the climate impacts of their products and reduce their emissions systematically. Regarding our value chain (Scope 3), we are working together with our partners to reduce emissions by 1 million tonnes by the end of 2030.
The Big Deal campaign already has 107 partner companies of S Group participating, and in four years, they have reduced their total climate emissions by almost 46,000 tonnes. Combined with the increase in biofuels in fuel sales, we have already achieved more than 600,000 tonnes of the target of one million tonnes. In addition, as part of our science-based climate targets, our goal is for two thirds of our goods suppliers (based on purchases) to set their own science-based emission reduction targets by the end of 2023. The target has already been set by 60 per cent of the suppliers within the scope of the target.
Through the programme, we encourage our major partners to report their climate impacts and their actions for reducing emissions. During the year, an increasing number of our suppliers reported their own climate work through CDP Supply Chain reporting.