Climate change is one of the greatest threats to biodiversity, and at the same time, the accelerating loss of diversity is making climate change worse. The extinction of species also poses a risk for the availability of raw materials.
Biodiversity and preventing the extinction of species also have central roles in our sustainability work. We have created a frame of reference for how we promote biodiversity in the entire chain by taking into account preservation measures, warming of the climate and the promotion of sustainable consumption patterns. We are also considering ways to jointly reduce consumption, for example, through various services.
Our aim is to ensure biodiversity, both in our own operations and in our value chain. By acting together, we can influence the sustainable use of land areas and forests, look after the well-being of water areas and the flora and fauna in them, and also build a sustainable food regime. Furthermore, our actions for the climate and circular economy promote the smart use of natural resources.
This is how we take biodiversity into account:
- Our policy decisions regarding raw materials affect deforestation, for example. Read more about our policy decisions regarding soy, palm oil, coffee, cocoa and cotton. In addition, our ABC restaurants have only served Finnish beef since 2015.
- Our fish policy supports sustainable fishing. Further information about our fish policy is available .
- The production and consumption of food also have direct impacts on forests and water bodies. Read more about our goal to promote the planetary diet, also known as climate-smart eating.
- Our stores offer a diverse and comprehensive range of organic products.
- Biofuel is mixed in the liquid fuels we sell. It reduces the amount of fossil fuels used. We are also investing in a network of electric car charging stations.
- When building new outlets In the future, we will seek to take biodiversity into account even more than today. For example the Hyvän mielen Sale (Sale store of good spirits) concept of SSO already takes the surrounding nature into account during the construction phase
- We are also promoting the safe and sustainable use of chemicals. For example, the primary production of fruit and vegetables Global Gap certified. The practices regarding use of chemicals were also inspected in the certification process. Our other policy decisions regarding raw materials also include requirements for the sustainable use of chemicals.
- We participate in the international Business for Nature’s Call for Action initiative The initiative concerns biodiversity and combines business and organisations, and prompts organisations to take action already during this decade to stop the disappearance of animal and plant species.